20-year-old Italian, Alberto Comparato has today been confirmed as the 2018 UIM F2 World Champion.
After the Sri Lanka cancellation was made known on Saturday, there was an attempt to find a venue willing to host the fifth round of the Championship.
The UIM have this afternoon confirmed that a venue could not be found and have contacted Comparato with the news.
I wish to inform you that despite our efforts it has not been possible to recoup the last race of the Championship.
For what mentioned above I’m officially closing the 2018 F.2 World Championship with the overall classification at present published on UIM web site.
I wish to thank you very much all of you for your precious cooperation and for your kind understanding.
To all Drivers and all Teams my personal regards.
Formula Committee Chairman
Comparato took wins in Kaunus, Lithuania and Tonsberg, Norway. Last month he drove a steady race at the Grand Prix of Portugal gaining a fifth place.
It’s clearly not how Comparato would want to win the Championship, however his driving this year has been impressive and he has displayed a maturity beyond his years.
2018 UIM F2 World Championship (Final Positions)
- Gold – Alberto Comparato (ITA) 47pts
- Silver – Rashed Al-Qemzi (UAE) 29pts
- Bronze – Edgaras Riabko (LIT) 27pts
- 4. Tobias Munthe-Kaas (NOR) 23 pts
- 5. Brent Dillard (USA) 19pts
- 6. Duarte Benavente (PRT) 18pts
- 7. Rashed Al-Tayer (UAE) 15pts
- 8. Stefan Hagin (DEU) 12pts
- 9. Daniel Segenmark (SWE) 11pts
- 10. Alex Carella (ITA) 9pts
- 11. Héctor Sanz (ESP) 5pts
- 12. Ola Pettersson (SWE) 4pts
- 13. Ferdinand Zandbergen (NED) 4pts
- 13. Rupert Temper (AUT) 3pts
- 13. Bimba Sjöholm (SWE) 3pts
- 16. Oskar Samuelsson (SWE) 2pts
- 17. Mette Bjerknaes (NOR) 1pt
- 17. Kalle Viippo (FIN) 1pt